Monday 10 January 2022

New Year’s Resolutions on Genially

 

A new year has begun and I always like to talk with my students about their resolutions and plans for the next twelve months. It’s fun to get to know a bit more about them and, at the same time, they revise future tenses and their uses in a different way.

I have used Genially before either to prepare my presentations or to make students create their own. However, this time I wanted to try something different: to design an attractive, fast speaking activity for a very small group of five B1 students who have never used this tool before. Ideally, the activity shouldn’t take more than one session.

·         At home, I chose a template for the presentation: an infographic of a Christmas tree with several cards. I assigned 3 cards to each student and created 3 more for me (as a model). I used the nickname “The Teacher” for my cards, and each one of them opens a window with one of my new year’s resolutions.

Design stage

·       In class, I share the infographic with them, and tell them that they should choose a nickname and write their resolutions on the cards I assigned to them (1, 2, 3, 4 or 5). Resolutions should be anonymous, but they can use images or videos. I inserted a video to remind them some useful language (differences between future simple and be going to).      

·         Each student was given a secret number and they started writing their resolutions on the cards under an anonymous nickname. They couldn’t do it simultaneously, because Genially doesn’t offer that option, so it took a while to have all texts in the cards.

·         Finally, once the tree was completed, we read the resolutions and tried to find out who wrote what. That was the funniest part! First, they had to guess who the author was, and then they explained a bit more about their plans, hopes and expectations for this year.

The activity has to be clearly structured and easy to understand, so it does not consume a lot of time. I think the result was simple but great. The students really enjoyed the session: even the shyest ones participated and had a laugh! Besides, they learnt to manage a different and extremely powerful tool to prepare their presentations. Besides, the final product was so beautiful that we decided to share it on our school’s Instagram!

You can see the result here:

https://view.genial.ly/61cae6a65926570df2887737/interactive-content-new-years-resolutions

2 comments:

  1. I really like your activity. It is very funny and I think your students have enjoyed it very much. It is a good idea to practice writing.
    I think this type of activities can be done with a lot of theme to be able to practise writing. For instance, the image can be a person and they have to describe them, or it can be the same with the past, saying what they did at Christmas holidays.
    I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Marta and happy new year!

    I like the way how you organized your activity to practice speaking. It´s very attractive for the students and it helps them to think and reflect about their purpose for this year.

    It´s cooperative because each student was given a secret number and they had to find out who wrote that resolution. This is an important part of the activity because the students see it like a challenge and they feel motivated to guess who wrote that secret message.

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete