Tuesday 28 December 2021

A travel diary with StoryJumper


My youngest secondary students find it extremely difficult to write more than two sentences in English, so you can imagine how they reacted when I told them they were going to write a travel diary… Besides, most of them have never been abroad and don’t know much about other cities and countries. Therefore, I decided that creating a StoryJumper booklet about an imaginary trip to a different country would get them out their comfort zone.

They worked in groups of four; I tried to organize them in a balanced way, so each team has students with different proficiency levels. This can motivate students who really struggle with writing, although there are always some of them who prefer to hide and leave the others work…

The objectives of this activity were:

  • Write an imaginary travel diary using StoryJumper.
  • Use past tenses.
  • Discover and learn about a different country.
  • Work in teams and distributing tasks.

Obviously, StoryJumper is a great tool to encourage learners to write, due to its user-friendly interface and attractive, highly visual final products. Students feel they are actually creating something interesting and beautiful, so most of them are very careful and interested in presenting a good piece of writing with nice pictures.

This is how I planned the task:

  • First, I created and shared an empty booklet with each group. All members could edit it, while I was there as a “ghost” user to revise their work and correct their mistakes at the end.
  • I created a model in order to show them some ideas and shared it with them. Of course, they had previously studied the past simple tense in class.
  • Later, we had a couple of sessions in the classroom with laptops to research, write and create the booklets. They needed extra time at home, since it took more time than I expected...
  • Finally, each group presented their booklets on screen to the rest of the class. After presentations, each student was given a rubric to evaluate the work of the other members of the team.

I must say that not all groups were able to complete the task successfully. Some of them had problems with the app and decided to create a slideshow using different programs. I think that this could have been avoided if the task had been conducted in class exclusively, so I could have helped them solve technical issues. Besides, some of them used Google Translate at home to complete the task… Again, I avoid assigning writing tasks for home because I want to make sure students write their own texts. However, the task was more time-consuming than I expected, so for the next time, I’ll definitely simplify it, or redefine it as a long-term project.   

But there were many positive aspects too. Some of the presentations were nice (like these ones about Peru and Lanzarote) and even the students were surprised about the quality of their work (they are only 12 years old!) Besides, all groups had the chance to learn something about different countries and places, which is great.

To sum up, this is just a trial which makes me want to continue exploring the possibilities of StoryJumper. For future sessions, I will take into account the following:

  • The length of the task (and the model text, if any) should be adapted to the group.
  • It’s better to work in pairs or individually, since it is not easy to manage the whole booklet by large groups.
  • It would be nice to share the booklets in the school’s website to make the results visible.
  • Although I recorded my voice for the model, I did not ask my students to do so, but that would have been a good way to practice some reading and pronunciation.



1 comment:

  1. Hi Marta!

    Congratulations on your blog! I really like the way you have organised it and particularly the interesting and enriching ideas you have shared. All of them reflect your commitment with a meaningful and motivating teaching-learning process.

    As regards this task with StoryJumper, I consider it an inspiring idea to encourage students to write and transform the traditionally tedious activity of writing into an entertaining project. It is true that lots of difficulties may appear, nonetheless when everything is finished we must always highlight the most positive aspects such as learning in a different way using authentic materials.

    Concerning some possible improvements, as you have mentioned in the post, it would be better to work with smaller groups or even to facilitate the task, giving the students the opportunity to use different resources such as Genially or Pixton apart from StoryJumper. In this way, they will choose the one they like the most.

    Best regards,
    Rosa.

    ReplyDelete